KINGSTON, JAMAICA (Sunday, September 24, 2020) — Visio Group has incorporated Visio HQ Consulting Limited
Ask Visio: How to Create Impactful Mission and Vision Statements
Guidance on creating compelling mission and vision statements for organizations, with a proven process and case study to help you get started.
This week, one of our readers asked how to create vision and mission statements, which we're passionate about helping clients do here at Visio. Defining your organisation's mission and vision is crucial, and we're excited to provide guidance on creating effective statements and a case study to help bring the process to life. Let's dive in!
Create Your Mission Statement
Let's start with creating a mission statement, a crucial step towards setting up your organisation for success. Your mission statement should clearly define the purpose and reason for your organisation's existence. Take time to reflect on your organisation's goals, what motivates you to work there, and what unique experiences your organisation offers. By answering these questions, you can create a brief, straightforward, and specific mission statement outlining your organisation's focus area.
Get your team and some paper and answer these questions:
- What are the goals of your organisation?
- What motivates you to work here, and what makes it a unique experience?
- What would be the consequences if your organisation did not exist?
Now, make a statement! Integrate your answers into a couple of sentences that represent your resolve. The outcome should be a brief, straightforward, and specific statement outlining the organisation's focus area.
Create Your Vision Statement
Next, it's essential to make a vision statement that outlines the desired future state of your organisation. A vision statement should answer the question, "Where are we headed?" and provide a clear direction. Consider what your organisation will look like in 5-10 years, what success looks like to you, and what ultimate goal you are striving for and why. You can create a clear picture of the future by answering these questions.
Here's what you should write down for your vision statement:
- What will our organisation look like in 5-10 years?
- What does success look like to us?
- What is the ultimate goal we are striving for, and why?
The outcome should be a clear picture of the future ahead.
Case Study: LunchBox Heroes
Let's tackle a case study! Mary is passionate about helping children in her district who do not have access to lunch at school. She believes no child should go hungry during the school day and wants to collaborate with her colleagues to start a non-profit organisation to provide meals for these children. Mary takes the following steps to create impactful mission and vision statements for her organisation, "LunchBox Heroes":
Creating Lunchbox Heroes' Mision Statement
- Goals: Mary's aims to provide healthy and nutritious meals to K-12 children who do not have lunch at school in her district.
- Motivation: Mary is motivated to work towards this goal because she believes every child deserves a chance to learn and grow, and hunger should not be a barrier to education.
- Unique Experience: LunchBox Heroes will provide more than just meals - it will also foster a sense of community and belonging by bringing together volunteers and donors who share the same values.
- Consequence: If LunchBox Heroes did not exist, many children in her district would continue to go hungry during the school day, which could lead to adverse effects such as poor academic performance and health problems.
Outcome: LunchBox Heroes' mission statement is
"To provide healthy and nutritious meals to K-12 children who do not have lunch at school in our district, fostering a sense of community and belonging while breaking down barriers to education."
Creating Lunchbox Heroes' Vision Statement
- Future State: In 5-10 years, Mary's plans that LunchBox Heroes will have expanded to reach more children in need, offering additional services such as tutoring, mentorship, and after-school programs.
- Success: Success for Mary means that no child in her district goes hungry during the school day and that all children have access to the resources they need to succeed in school and beyond.
- Ultimate Goal: Mary's ultimate goal is to create a world where no child goes hungry, and education is accessible.
- Outcome: Mary's vision statement is:
"To create a world where no child goes hungry, and where education is accessible to all, by expanding our reach to offer additional services such as tutoring, mentorship, and after-school programs, while continuing to provide healthy and nutritious meals to K-12 children who do not have lunch at school in our district."
Mary's mission and vision statements clearly and compellingly describe her organisation's purpose, goals, and values. These statements will help guide her organisation's decisions and actions and inspire others to join her in the fight against childhood hunger.
All in all, creating compelling mission and vision statements is not only essential for the success of any organisation, but it can also make a huge difference in how you measure progress toward your goals. At Visio, we specialise in helping organisations define their mission and vision statements and work towards achieving their desired future state. Please contact us today to learn how we can help your organisation thrive.